Sunday Soulschool: Jill Scott - It's Love

The great miss Jill Scott will always have a special place in my heart. Seeing her perform at Brussels' AB something like 15 years ago - it must have been the first big concert I ever attended, not counting local hiphop acts - I got completely overwhelmed by her massive voice, authenticity and kind personality. Needless to say I was pretty appalled when I first heard British production duo Goldtrix' 'It's Love (Trippin')', a housy version of Scott's 2000 classic 'It's Love'. Not that I'm against cover-versions or anything, but replacing Scott's vocals by those of Andrea Brown (best known for being Bobby Brown's cousin) and 'forgetting' to give Scott a heads-up, is not kosher in my book. I remember hijacking a French-class trying to point out this grave injustice and failin' miserably - I was the only one to prefer the original. I comfort myself thinking I introduced real soul music to at least 20 teenagers that day and knowing that Jilly from Philly probably made quite some dough with her writing credits for the song. Enjoy a beautiful live recording of 'It's Love' (off her fantastic 'Experience: Jill Scott 826+'-album) and explore the rest of Jill Scott's oeuvre - you will not be disappointed...

Comments