Would You Please Come to My Gansta Nation?

Nash in the Seventies

In today's post I'm gonna talk about music I don't really like that much. Folk, country and the likes usually give me the creeps, so it may seem rather strange that I'm talking about one of the great 'stars' of folk-rock (I'm trying not to barf while typing this). As most of my good friends know, playing some Neil Young is an excellent idea if you want me to start a lecture on Young's overratedness and sorry singing. Watching various YouTube-clips of the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-ensemble has got me laughing my ass off (watch 'Our House' or 'Teach Your Children' and try not to feel sorry for 'em). I have to admit that at least one of these guys earns my respect: Graham Nash. The former Hollies-member (you might know their 'Bus Stop' or 'Dear Eloise') relocated to L.A. late 1968 to join the CSNY-'supergroup', but realeased a couple of solo-records as well. One of his first solo-releases is the reason I made this post. In a reaction to 1968's riots in Chicago, Nash wrote his protest-song 'Chicago', defending the rights of the 'Chicago 7' (8 if you count Black Panther Bobby Seale, who was actually bound and gagged in the courtroom). Besides its obvious revolutionary and humanitarian value, the song deserves props for its really mean spine-snapping organ-groove. The gangstas amongst us will definitely recognize the sample from the Kanye-produced Beanie Sigel-song 'The Truth' or from the more popular 'Gangsta Nation' by Westside Connection (and Nate Dogg goes 'na-na-na-na-nananana') ... Enjoy!

Nash in his sixties

Comments