'Pieces' by The Stylistics

The Stylistics

Today I'm gonna talk about one single song: 'Pieces' by The Stylistics. Since I first heard it, I can't get it out of my head and I catch myself tryin' to pitch my voice to sound like the pimped-out falsetto they use in this song. Real O.G.'s will probably recognize the intro, since it was sampled by Alchemist for 'The Grimy Way' by Big Noyd ft. Prodigy. The rippin' guitar is of course one of the song's main attractions, but the beautiful strings and subtle horns create the perfect background for The Stylistics' melancholic style of singing. This melancholy is countered by a firm and solid beat, accelerating the tempo and making the song less 'heavy'. As a result of this we get a melodic piece of soul music which balances between an up-tempo summergroove and a deep, heartbraking love song. If you fall in love with the song like I did, just ask for an mp3-version and I'll send it to you.

The Stylistics still going strong

Comments