Interview: Odeeno


The sympathetic Vincenzo Martinelli has been on our radar for a while now. As Odeeno, the thirty-something Neapolitan creates dark, delicate and moody beats in his own distinctive style. He has been honing his craft for over a decade on more than a dozen of beattapes for labels like Resilienza ('Closfeeling'), Spalato Wyale ('Lostmemory'), Monked ('Muudyland'), Inner Ocean ('Untouchable Mirror'), Nekubi ('Souleving'), Beat's Tailors ('Lastglare'), Dezi-Belle ('Paintsens'), Tiger Blood Tapes ('Flowerpetals') and many others. 

On 'MELLOWROOM', his latest effort released via Japan's C3 Lab, he once again excels in painting beautiful little sketches making use of warm and jazzy keys, snappy drums and nostalgia-inducing vocal clips. We got hold of Vince to ask him a couple of questions...


sfftk: You hail from Naples, a city with a rich cultural history. How has this environment influenced your style and your production?

Odeeno: Naples is my cradle. I would say the city is the generator of my inspiration for beats on an 'emotional' level. Naples is of course known for its liveliness and joviality, but it also harbours a darker, more reflective and melancholic side. I think that melancholy is present in most of my pieces. Maybe I'll dedicate a whole album to my Naples one day.

sfftk: Who are your main musical inspirations and how are these reflected in your work?

Odeeno: After studying the classics by producers like J Dilla, Pete Rock, Madlib and DJ Premier, I got to know the work of Knxwledge, Mndsgn, Dibiase, Elaquent and many others. My dark and non-linear style embraces the sound and vision of guys like Madlib and Knxwledge. I love J Dilla too, but he's more like a spiritual mentor. I aim for a more reflective sound and a state of perpetual quiet in the beats - I hear that more when I listen to Madlib, Knxwledge and Mndsgn. My greatest inspiration is my own emotional state. I notice I'm much more creative when I'm feeling sad. Maybe it's that state of sadness and restlessness that inspires me the most. 

sfftk: What are three albums that you absolutely love but you feel haven't gotten the attention they deserve?

Odeeno: Great question, eh... I would tip Slum Village's 'Fantastic, Vol.2', Madlib's 'Beat Koducta Vol. 5' and Knxwledge's 'Ovrstnd​'-​LP. I still listen and adore those three albums, and I feel the people haven't given them the proper level of appreciation. 


sfftk: What's your favourite self-produced track?

Odeeno: Well, there are beats that I'm more attached to than others and that hold a special place in my heart, like 'Chckm∆te' (from 2016's 'Puzzlee'). 'Far Away', from my new album 'MELLOWROOM', will definitely make my personal top 10 as well. It features Federica Monaco aka R Y K A M, and it's my first collaboration with a singer. I never experimented with vocalists before, but it turned out great; I think it's one of the best tracks on the album.


sfftk: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Odeeno: I've never really thought about the future. The albums I've released on Italian and foreign labels and the attention that I've received for my work, like interviews or previews on Italy's Red Bull-website, have all sprought from my own desire and dedication - there never was a big plan. I hope to find myself in a nice studio one day, surrounded by my albums and my instruments, calmly reflecting my accomplishments...  


One of those accomplishments, the wonderful 'MELLOWROOM', is out since early September. It features R Y K A MMill3ristic and Nema. Head on over to C3 Lab's bandcamp to order your copy. 


Comments

Post a Comment