Skinny Legs and Fat Women

I know it has been a while since I posted anything, and that is why today I want to point out a couple of Southern Soul-gems from the one and only Joe Tex. I first heard about Tex when MF DOOM mentioned him in Madvillain's 'Accordion' ("Excercise index won't need Boflex/and won't take the one with no skinny legs like Joe Tex") and was absolutely stunned by this Southern James Brown's raw energy, humour and funky delivery (most of the time, he's just rapping instead of singing).
Check out his hilarious performance at Top of the Pops ('Ain't Gonna Bump No More'), 'I Gotcha' (used on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack), 'Skinny Legs And All' and the funny 'Pneumonia'. This last one is a parody on 'Fever'(Peggy Lee's version is probably the best known), which Tex claims to have written but sold to Otis Blackwell; who, of course, denied everything...

Comments