Another German invasion


Don't start panickin' though, chill and let these guys invade your ear canals. Why do I mention their nationality? Because Germany is the last place you think of when exposed to the sometimes exotic and always adventurous styles of Alexander Barck, Claas Brieler, Jürgen von Knoblauch, Roskow Kretschmann, Stefan Leisering and Axel Reinemer (I admit, their names are VERY German) a.k.a. Jazzanova. Formed in Berlin in 1995, these guys have been creating mainly nu-jazz, electronic jazz and chillout music, occasionally hitting the charts with their more pop-oriented, radio-friendly songs, like 'No Use' (ft. Clara Hill) from their album In Between (2002). Although I've known this band for some years now, I really feel I should mention them here. All this because their latest album, 2008's 'Of All the Things', has been camping in my stereo for several months now. While not ignoring the style of music they mention in their moniker, the band seems to have chosen for a more 'soulful' approach. 'Look What You're Doin' To Me' (ft. Phonte of Little Brother, I'll talk about that guy sometime soon) is a joyful uptempo love song combining Phonte's versatile voice with some excellent cutting and programming by Stefan Leisering. Ben Westbeech (he too will get a post someday) has a whole orchestra accompanying him on the swingin' 'I Can See', a song you'll want to hear at least a dozen times a day. Also check out 'L.O.V.E. and You and I', Jazzanova's very own tribute to the breakbeat, and 'Little Bird' (ft. José James) to prove just how all-round these guys are. If you want a true taste, check out Alexander Barck's dj-set @ Petrol, Antwerp (22/05/09). I guarantee you'll have a great time...

Comments